Joseph Springer Digital Artworks
Digital painting and photography
Joseph Springer began his early artistic pursuit in photography, experimenting with the medium by technically working with his own images in the darkroom. At the College of William and Mary, Joseph ultimately earned a dual degree in Art History and English while taking studio art classes that allowed him to marry academic influences and technical aptitude in a creative environment. Digital art has allowed him to combine the mediums of painting and photography to further investigate sources of curiosity and inspiration.
Art provides the means for me to explore the external and internal world: to see things more fully by interacting with what I see. Satisfaction comes from the fact that, for me, the act of making art integrates 'doing' and 'seeing' more fully than anything else. Sometimes starting with a photograph and other times with an electronic sketch, the digital media process allows me to develop and reveal the art with an amazing array of tools and at a pace that matches my temperament.
I grew up in the Middle East (my father was in the Foreign Service) and I now live in Washington DC. Traveling provides me with inspiration. Colors, textures, patterns, shapes, and the emotions that they invoke are revealed through exploration.
I hope that you enjoy looking at these images. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome, and I would be very happy to work with you on framing ideas if you are interested in purchasing a signed print.
Selected Exhibitions and Collections
Juried Shows and Awards:
• Capitol Hill Arts Workshop 2012 Photography Show January 2012. Juror: Bruce McKaig. Received the Lou Stancari Purchase Award.
• Capitol Hill Art League Art Show “It’s a Wonderful World.” June 2012. Juror: Lenny Campello
• Children’s National Medical Center “New Horizons” July-September 2012. Juror: Rosalyn Shanzer. Received two Honorable Mention Awards
• Lynchburg Academy of Fine Arts National Juried Photography Exhibition September 2012. Juror: Sam Krisch
• Capitol Hill Art League Art Show (All Media) October 2012. Juror: Michelle Hoban.
• Capitol Hill Art League Art Show “It’s a Private Passion” November 2012. Juror: Rosemary Covey. Received First Place Award
• The Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital Art Show January/February 2013
• Lost Creek Winery (Loudoun County) February/March 2013
• Capitol Hill Art League Art Show (All Media) March 2013. Juror: Phil Hutinet
• Lost Creek Winery (Loudoun County) March-June 2013. Juror: Colleen Sargen. Received two Honorable Mention Awards
• Capitol Hill Hotel Art Show June-September 2013
• Lynchburg Academy of Fine Arts National Juried Photography Exhibition September 2013. Juror: David Dodge Lewis
• The Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital Art Show June-September 2013. Juror: Jack Rasmussen
• The Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital Art Show January/February 2014
• Capitol Hill Art League at Velocity Condominium January/February 2014
• Hill Center Galleries Open Regional Juried Art Exhibition, June to September 2014. Juror: Philip Kennicott. Received Honorable Mention Award
• The Lou Stancari Memorial Photography Collection at the DC Southeast Public Library
• Artomatic 2009, Washington DC.
• Artomatic 2012, Arlington VA